Vision, Philosophy and Commitment
Our vision is:
To inspire, develop, and guide leaders in their search for excellence in all spheres of human endeavour irrespective of their social or cultural background or standing.
The philosophy that underpins our work is that, despite the hugely beneficial advances in technology, particularly communications technology, the untapped resources inherent in people and their effective relationship with others are the most valuable assets any organisation can possess.
Our leadership training and services are based on widely accepted research which confirms that the development of leadership within organisations improves overall performance. The research also confirms that leadership development is a long-term undertaking requiring high level commitment and adequate resources for it to be successful.
We believe that the leader's challenge is to create the environment in which the team and individual members can be successful. This entails recognising that while there is a difference between management and leadership, the two are not incompatible, and simply put, while management is more about the efficient and effective use of processes, systems and materiel, leadership is about achievement with and through people. However, we further believe that the best leaders must also be credible managers.
Leaders must be able to manage effectively to carry out or ensure functions such as defining the vision, mission, goals, or tasks, planning, organising, communicating, controlling, and evaluating are implemented. They must also, and most importantly, develop the ‘people skills’ to be able to encourage, guide, coach, develop and motivate the members of their group or team so that they willingly work towards achievement of the common goal.
Leadership therefore is not something that is mystical or metaphysical or limited to self. It does not exist in a vacuum but is very much of the long-term intricacies and difficulties of life and relationships and work. It exists because it is of the real world in which people must live and operate together to survive, develop and advance. We believe that leadership is therefore best studied, learnt and developed within the framework of the realities of management.
Of vital importance is the need for leaders to set the example. They must consistently set the example of what they want others to be. Words are not enough: people listen with their eyes.
Our teaching and facilitation ideas and methods have been adopted and adapted from Professor John Adair's model of Functional Leadership, and are essentially experiential in nature. (See also our Programs Page). Professor Adair has written widely on leadership and associated issues and has been adviser in leadership to the British Government and to Chinese Academe. Two of his recent books are: The Leadership of Mohammad and Confucius on Leadership.
Key elements of our services are as follows:
- acceptance by top management of the need for leadership development throughout the organisation;
- commitment by top management to lead by example and adequately support the required development initiatives and programs;
- selection of program participants according to clearly defined criteria that are transparent and meet the needs of the organisation and the aspirations of the individuals concerned;
- ensuring participants are motivated to attend the training and realise the benefits to the organisation and themselves;
- provision of comprehensive pre-course briefing and preparation to maximise the benefit from course attendance;
- agreement on a single, well-defined and accepted leadership model that contains guidance on not only what leaders must do but how they should go about achieving results with and through their people by creating emotional resonance amongst team members through the application of effective ‘people skills’;
- ensuring training programs are based on the framework of the leadership model and incorporate key organisational culture and operational issues;
- provide a variety of learning methods to include seminars, role-plays, case studies, experiential learning activities, feedback and coaching;
- ensure the course learning is continued through team projects and programs that are based on workplace action learning methodology;
- provide structured developmental feedback through regular 360 degree or traditional one-on-one coaching or mentoring sessions; and
- establishing and maintaining recognition and reward systems that encourage and support continuous improvement in leadership development.
We commit to providing:
- Training and development by corporate coaches who are all successful, proven leaders, and each of whom has many years of accumulated knowledge and experience in a variety of senior leadership and executive situations.
- If required, survey analysis and identification of the quality and depth of leadership within an organisation.
- Practical and proven training programs that emphasise not only what leaders must do to be successful, but also how they can achieve excellence with and through their people. The programs are designed in close conjunction with our clients and are tailored to meet their specific needs.
- Programs that are holistic in nature and combine proven best management practice with the latest ‘cutting-edge’ ideas and developments in ‘people skills’.
- A wide range of training and facilitation methods that are challenging but enjoyable. We focus mainly on experiential methodology during training and action learning methodology during workplace projects and programs.
- Team building and business development programs that are tailored to the organisational culture and required business or organisational outcomes.
- Extensive follow up support and coaching that ensures leadership learning and development is reinforced and continued in the workplace. This may involve traditional or 360-degree constructive evaluation and feedback designed to assist leaders at all levels continue their development in this key area of organisational development.